Friday, August 24, 2012

Lens on Guild Wars 2 Headstart Launchblog!

Thursday, 9:00 PM Pacific (all times will be Pacific)--24 hours until hundreds of thousands of people all start hammering their "Play" buttons at the same time!  And hundreds of thousands of people start cursing profusely.

Friday, 12:08 PM--Sooooooo, is it time yet?  Nope, dammit.  I am patched and ready to go however!

1:07 PM--Repatched and reready to rego!

1:31 PM--A friend is having problems with the software for her brand spankin' new Razer Naga.  She was looking forward to breaking it in with GW2, but it seems that the Synapse software from Razer may be the biggest fustercluck in mouse history (cloud configuration for a mouse!?).  On the positive side, it gives me another thing to rant about in my Friday blog next week!

3:31 PM--A foraging trip to the supermarket has left me fully supplied for the weekend!  So many empty calories!

4:59: PM--Another patch...that's four today and we're still four hours from maybe when we can launch.  My soul weeps bitter tears of despair.

6:00 PM--Only two more hours until it's one more hour until it's between zero and three more hours!

7:00 PM--Two hours.  The False Anticipation before the Real Anticipation starts at 9:00 is unbearable.

8:07 PM--I feel my life and indeed my sanity slowly draining away from me.  Will the servers come up before I suffer an aneurysm?  Time will tell...if I don't update this any more, you'll know why.

8:32 PM--My mind is going Dave...I can feel it.

8:35 PM--I got a different error message trying to log in!  The moment grows close!

8:50 PM--10 minutes until I turn to face Seattle and start screaming "TURN ON THE SERVERS!"

8:55 PM--The last 5 minutes took 45 minutes.  It looks like Einstein was right.

9:00 PM--LET ME IN!!!

9:01 PM--Thank you.

9:30 PM--Some stability and load problems...WHAT A SHOCK!  At least one name missing, but I got my first main one.

9:56 PM--Well, we got our guild name and most of us got our names.  Lots of weird delay and lag and stuff, but they are no doubt getting SO hammered trafficwise right now, it's understandable.

10:49 PM--So the creation is working relatively smoothly, so I'm creating alts now.  Do more levelling stuff later.

12:00 PM--Midnight!  Time for the launch!  Wait...what's that...three hours already!?!?  Seriously, things are running much, much smoother now.  I'm assuming they threw a bunch of hardware at various bottlenecks, unnecking their bottles.

1:04 AM Saturday--Things are running smooth right now, at least on our server.  In the overflows anyway.  I understand the Euro servers are having login problems :-(

2:55 AM--I've made good progress on my main once the servers settled down...finished out the daily achievement for a few bonus goodies and now...off to bed.  So for night one, about 6 hours of game time, 5 toons created, big funs had.  After an hour or two of flakiness, our server at least has been quite smooth.  A good launch from my perspective anyway!  More later today!

11:47 AM--I have had a good night's sleep, a quick lunch, and I'm ready to return to action.  However, given the Twitter and Facebook action, it seems that ArenaNet has been busy, handling lots of issues.  Let's see if it's all settled out a bit by logging in...

11:52 AM--Unsurprisingly...patching!

2:15 PM--Time flies when you're having...yes...fun!  Got my "main" up to level 11, time to start altifying now that I've got a bank full of weapons to share around.

5:40 PM--Dinner break!  And from another perusal of the various feeds, it looks like a generally poor launch for GW2 for a LOT of people.  Account issues, full servers, various trade house functions...I have to add, that things have been quite good for me and most of my guildies and friends, but unfortunately not true for everyone.

9:40 PM--My guildies should have had a pool to see how long I could last before getting more character slots.  The winning answer would have been "one day and 40 minutes".

9:45 PM--Grrrr, won't let me create my next toon :-(

2:05 AM Sunday--Another full day.  All 8 classes now created and yes...I need professional help.

10:28 AM--Having re-energized the batteries with a night's sleep, I am ready to face the long day of slaying dynamic events!  Rar!

5:41 PM--Still at it after lunch and dinner and potty breaks.  Finished the zone completion for the first human zone, starting to see some nice item drops, still some server issues, especially with the trade markets.  But despite all the problems many have seen, it's been a pretty uneventful weekend for me (so far).

12:05 AM Monday--Hmm, evidently time _does_ fly.  I guess the pre-purchase players are getting started and one more day until all hell breaks lose with the general launch.  One more day of launch log to go!

10:35 AM--Lens...you can't be serious!  Two blogs out of the launch?  You bet!  Better to play for a couple extra hours and pretend I'm blogging then spend a couple of hours writing a blog!  And just wait...Wednesday's blog is going to be about launches!

6:29 PM--New build!  Break time!  Well, ignoring lunch, dinner, bathroom breaks and quick runs to the fridge for a Coke...the first today!  :-P

12:37 AM Tuesday--It's official launch day!  I've got like 44 hours logged already, across all my characters :-P  OK, enough slackblogging, back to real blogs on Wednesday!






No comments: